Are Home Builders Liable For Home Defects?

When you purchase a new home in Adelaide, it will automatically come with a certificate of occupancy. This is a document that deems your property liveable based on an inspection by a local board. The examination detects any defects or malfunctions that may be present within the house. For example, if the roof is leaking, there is dangerous electrical wiring, or there is significant water damage. These are some of the issues that would cause your home to fail an inspection.

Should your home fail an inspection, it means that it’s not livable due to building a home mistakes. However, there are instances when a certificate of occupancy may deem your house liveable, but inspectors failed to note critical defects. You may want to discuss such issues with a real estate attorney. Sometimes, your builder’s warranty will cover the flaws. The document means that the builder will pay for damages or repair any defects within the home. Nonetheless, some flaws may not show up until a particular season. For example, until it rains, you may not realise a leaky roof.

If you’re not sure whether or not you have a builder’s warranty, look into your sales contract or try to recall if you received a separate document that might have acted as a warranty. Typically, guarantees are broken down into one, two and ten-year covers for different issues that may occur. One-year warranties may deal with labour and materials while two-year warranties may cover mechanical defects such as plumbing issues and electrical malfunctions. A ten-year warranty will usually involve structural defects such as rotting wood or a weak foundation.

Admittedly, the most common defects are those covered under a one-year contract. These may involve various issues ranging from carpeting mistakes to painting issues. If you discover an error that you believe should be fixed by your builder, but the warranty has expired, you can seek help from a real estate attorney. The attorney will read the warranty carefully and pay particular attention to the liability you are required to uphold. For instance, you’ll be unable to seek reimbursement for any accidents resulting from negligence.

Also, dangers by outsiders like animals or vandals will not typically be covered, or any damage resulting after you hired people to work on your property. If you have to move out during repairs to your home, chances are you’ll need to cover relocation costs on your own. Similarly, any eating out or hotel bills should not be covered. The same applies to any appliances in your home that don’t work. Instead, consider contacting your appliance manufacturer and see if there’s a warranty on the specific product.

If you believe you qualified for reimbursement but didn’t receive any money, then contact your attorney for more information. A real estate attorney will have the knowledge and expertise to assess your situation and give you an informed opinion about your next move. Your attorney will also represent you in court if you need to litigate against your builder.